I have already installed Gentoo with a Kernel supporting NVidia graphics cards using the open-source Nouveau driver. I also have a working installation of Xorg server.
Now all that’s left to do now is install XMonad!
emerge --ask xmonad xmonad-contrib
Notes that will probably be removed/deleted
The above pulled in a lot of additional software and took quite a long time to complete. However, all seemed to work. Here I should mention about how to start and link to command/cheatsheet etc. Include
.xinitrc and how
.xsession does not work (should be removed it present).
After that I decided to install firefox. That too pulled in a lot of software and took ages to complete. More so than the above! I did need to add the following to
After the installation, I saw the below Portage warning messages.
* For more information on udev on Gentoo, upgrading, writing udev rules, and
* fixing know issues visit:
* Messages for package sys-fs/udisks-2..1.0:
* CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND: is not set when it should be.
* Please check to make sure these options are set correctly.
* Failure to do so may cause unexpected problems.
* Messages for package media-video/mjpegtools-2.0.0-r3:
* mjpegtools installs user contributed scripts which require additional
* dependencies not pulled in by the installation.
* These have to be installed manually.
* Currently know extra dependencies are: ffmpeg, mencoder from mplayer,
* parts of transcode, mpeg2dec from libmpeg2, sox, toolame, vcdimager, python.
* Messages for package app-misc/strigi-0.7.7-r2:
* Because you didn't enable either of the available backends:
* clucene or hyerestraier, strigi may not be functional.
* If you indend to use standalone strigi indexer (not needed for KDE),
* be sure to reinstall app-misc/strigi with either cluence (recommended)
* or hyperestraier (unreliable) USE flag enabled.
* Message for package sys-auth/polkit-kde-agent-0.99.0-r1:
* WARNING! Your system configuration contains neither "kde-base/kdebase-runtime-meta"
* nor "kde-base/kde-base-startkde". You need one of the above.
* With this setting you are unsupported by the KDE team.
* All missing features you report for misc packages will be probably ignored for closed as INVALID.
I made the above kernel change on the next next kernel upgrade but as far as I could tell XMonad seemed to work fine without it anyway.
Arguments With My Friends – How to Install Xmonad on Gentoo
Haskell.org – Tutorials
learnyouahaskell.com – Learn You a Haskell for Great Good!
Gentoo Wiki – Xmonad
Haskell.org – Xmonad/Installing xmonad
Haskell.org – Xmonad/Basic Desktop Environment Integration
Wikipedia – xmonad
Think In Geek – Simple guide to configure xmonad, dzen2 and conky
Wikipedia – Conky (software)
Gentoo Wiki – rxvt-unicode
Haskell.org – Xmonad/General xmonad.hs config tips
Haskell.org – Xmonad/Config archive/John Goerzen’s Configuration
ArchLinux – Xmonad
Haskell.org – Xmonad/Frequently asked questions
How-To Geek – How to use Xmonad, a Tiling Window Manager for Linux
Huntly Cameron Web Stuffs – How-to: Set up XMonad & XMobar on Ubuntu
Haskell.org – Xmonad/Using xmonad in Gnome
Xmonad.org – XMonad.Config.Gnome
Xmonad.org – XMonad.Layout.PerWorkspace
Xmonad.org – xmonad-0.11 manual
Xmonad.org – A guided tour
ArchLinux – dmenu
ArchLinux – Gmrun
Haskell.org – Xmonad/Using xmonad in KDE
Xmonad.org – XMonad.Config.Kde
Xmonad.org – XMonad.Doc.Configuring
cgogolin.de – sample xmonad.hs by Christian Gogolin
Shinobu’s Secrets – Tag Archives: xmonad